Friday, August 16, 2013

Arrowmont

Sitting at a computer in the BEAUTIFUL Arrowmont library. This whole campus is just amazing, very comfortable and peaceful. Who would think there is a street full of tourist trap goodness right down the driveway!
Just finished with an Abstract Quilt workshop with Elizabeth Barton. She was a very good teacher, helping all of us to achieve good design and teaching me the basics of quilting. She opened my eyes with a few new tools. I was especially amazed by the darning foot for a sewing machine which allowed me to sew a freehand pattern onto my first ever properly made art quilt. The dye process for the fabric was also incredibly exciting. I immediately went back to my room and ordered dyes so I can do it at home!







Being away from home and immersed in art is an experience everyone should try. I plan to come back here every year, finances willing, or try a different art institution to get my fix. It allowed me to work in a new and exciting way, to change my style and way of thinking about work. I also learned valuable skills that I will hopefully take into my thesis work.

Elizabeth was a big help in pointing me towards some great female artists. Here is a list of some that we used as information or learned about:
Sonia Delaunay
Lee Krasner
Agnes Martin
Julia Loffredo Triebes
Mary Fedden
Elaine De Kooning
Beverly Pepper
Joan Mitchell
Helen Frankenthaler
Yayoi Kusama *
Lee Bontecou *
Bridget Riley
Eva HEsse
Rosie Lee Tompkins (Effie Mae Howard) *
Pat Stein
Elizabeth Murray *
Amy Sillman
Rachel Whitehead
Tracy Emin *
Ghada Amer *
Tomma Abts
Tara Donovan *
Sun Kwak *

The ones with the stars next to them are the women I was particularly inspired by.
Also she suggested Diane Itter

No comments:

Post a Comment