Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Welcome back!

Hello everybody
Back in the swing of things (almost). My teaching assistant position is going to be great! Working with Anne Holman assisting intermediate and advanced jewelry on Tuesdays and Thursday. I really feel like I am going to learn a lot about teaching and running a classroom. So far we have had our new theory and criticism class, which I had better get reading for because there is a lot of reading (although interesting reading), and our critique class. Both seem like they are going to be very interesting and very useful, and also very different from last semester. Variety is the spice of life, or something like that.
I also met with my adviser for the semester, Melissa Vogely Woods. (http://melissavogleywoods.com/). I am very excited to be working with her, and feel like it will be keeping me on my artistic toes.
I am very interested in jewelry theory and how individuals think of their jewelry. I am also continuing a line of thought that I started last semester, about constriction. I will have a more in depth writing on what I am working with this semester very soon.
Here are some artists I am looking at this week:

Klari Reis
Ben Kruisdijk
Especially the work "Fremde Melodie"
Danny O'Connor
Bart Hess
1/2 of the duo Lucy and Bart that I posted last semester. I especially love the video Extraordinary Gentlemen
Chalermphol Harnchakkhan
Really this persons name is a work of art that it even exists as something someone can pronounce. But their prints also make me very happy.
Kate Gilmore
I am not very attracted to these videos, however they are very interesting to think about in relation to what I am doing this semester.
Ann Hamilton
I also watched her segment on Art 21 which was very interesting
Gee's Bend Quilts
These were made by a secluded group of women in the South. Their history is actually a lot more interesting than that sentence, though, so look it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment