Monday, October 15, 2012

Post for critique.

I have my second critique this Thursday and have considerably more to show everyone! I have been working a lot since I ordered my materials. I have also changed some paths and ideas. Kelly had suggested that I do some 1 hour projects; a drastic change from my normal 8-20 hour projects. I tried it a few times, and 1 hour always turned into 2 (or 6), but I got some good results from just going with what I was trying and not thinking too hard about it.
I also found that trusting my instincts as to how to work with the materials yielded some things that really fit into my research. Because I have done so much research, I feel like it's going to influence what I do whether I purposely apply it or not.

I have been going through a book called Jewelry Illustration by Dominique Audette. It's very interesting. I haven't started drawing along yet,  but that is my next goal. I would like to get better at expressing my jewelry ideas on paper.

I am also reading the book How We Die by Sherwin B Nuland. It is exploring the most common ways that people die in America, and how that affects their bodies and their minds. He is a very good writer and efficiently makes the clinical personal while still effectively explaining everything.

The other two books I am reading (I should really try and focus on one, haha) are about objects. One is called Berlin Childhood around 1900 by Walter Benjamin, and the other is Evocative Objects: things we think with, put together by Sherry Turkle. These books are really interesting, and explore how we think with the objects around us, and also how these objects tie us to a place and to a time in our lives.

I set up a squarespace! They are letting me beta test the e-commerce feature.

Here are some artists I have been looking at:
Lisa Nillson

Lucy and bart
Exploded View, and Grow on You are my two favorites right now.

Guerra De La Paz
Books 1, 2, 9

Arline Fisch

Some Native American bead artists (most have no personal websites):
Vanessa Paukeigope Jennings
Teri Greeves and at the Jane Sauer Gallery
Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty and about her piece at the Smithsonian native american museum
Marcus Amerman
Martha Berry

2 comments:

  1. Carmen, I'm really sorry that I won't be at your critique. Could we set up a time for me to come over to your studio and see what you have been doing. I really like Lia Nillson's work.

    Ric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen,
    If you haven't seen Sandra Backlund's work you should check it out:
    http://www.sandrabacklund.com/previous-collection.php?page=39
    She is a knitter and does amazing things with ornament and the body.

    ReplyDelete